(meteorobs) Leonids - Mag estimation from non-intensified video stream

Hi folks:

     Is there a way to estimate magnitude of Leonids as captured by
non-intensified video stream. Is the normal  practice of using the
background star as reference work.  Which part of the meteor do you take as
reference - the terminal burst ( if there is one)? As my ccd had enhanced
IR-sensitivity and was wondering whether this will give error biased
estimation ( compare with naked eye).  What do you do with  very bright
terminal flash which appear to me over-saturate the ccd.

     Looking forward to you expert input.