(meteorobs) LEONIDS Report - Northern UK, 04.00 Nov 18

Hi, me again...

Well, I wrote the night off too soon! As I was closing down my computer after
writing my previous posting, just after 2.00am, I decided to take One Last
Look out the window, "just in case", as you do... and saw the Pointers of The
Plough breaking thru the cloud. Then a streak of light below them...!

Ah ha... :-)

Back on with the jacket(s) and gloves, grab the bag full of cameras and gear,
and out into the night again... back behind the Scout Centre where I had my
memorable encounter with the Hounds of the Baskervilles last night... and cue

The sky was clear, on and off, for the next two hours, and in that time I saw
almost 100 Leonids. Some very bright - but none I'd class as fireballs - but
most mag 1 or 2. Very few persistent trains. Colours? Predominantly white and
ice blue, quite appropriate for the sub zero conditions.

When I'd found myself actually sleeping on my feet I realised it was time to
go home, and it was misting over again anyway, so I repacked my bag and
headed back out of the shadows and into the lights - only to see a Police car
gliding towards me. So, there I was, wrapped up in so many layers and hoods
and sleeves I looked like a cross between a Jawa and the Grim Reaper,
emerging from the shadows of a public building carrying a sports bag. Just a
**little** suspicious! But luckily for me the woman police officer inside the
car knew there was a meteor shower on, and recognised me from the photos
which have accompanied my pieces in the local paper, and she accepted my
explanation, adding that she'd even seen a few herself. In fact, she gave me
a lift home in her police car, so I returned from my meteor watching in
style! :-)

So, not a complete disaster after all. Good luck, and happy hunting, wherever
*you* are!